Tuesday 25 January 2022

Parsimonious petrol person learns to shop in town

 It was one of those sudden flashes of insight that hit one at inappropriate moments, the answer to my question: why do I find shopping in London such a strain?   The answer was simple - I was, I am, still mentally preparing for shopping the country way. 

 In the country, one creates a list of things to buy, once the list is long enough, in the car you get and go to the nearest town.  There is no way you would permit yourself to go shopping just for one item, well, perhaps for bread....but rural bakers are now also 'multiples' selling other staples of household needs. But they are still kilometres away.

In town, if I wait until I have a proper shopping list, I find myself going in five different directions to fulfil my needs, walking long distances on hard pavements or waiting, in the cold, for various buses. My petrol parsimonious mind has not yet adjusted to the fact that I can pop out of the house, go up to Ali's  - and just buy one thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment